Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tahoe in Snow

Started this one outside, but the tree I was under was no shelter for sideways blowing snow.




Truckee River 6x8 O/P



This was as far as I got before being snowed out, a pretty fierce storm blew in pretty quickly forcing a hasty run back to the car. Still, it was more than enough information to let me play with and still be true to the scene (mostly). Once I got home, I saw how horrible my initial lay-in for the foreground river was and altered it for a more interesting angle. I also added a little more color because with the overcast, blizzardy conditions, it was pretty much just a black and white scene. A real nice subtle study in values. I don't know if adding color kills that effect, but it felt like it needed it. Maybe I'll go back and try it again in just grays.



Here's a picture from the previous day, the weather was much clearer, and my long slog uphill schlepping all my painting gear through knee deep snow only got me tired, and bad photographs. Still, scouting around for scenes was really fun, I just need to remember to pack the snow shoes next time. That and a lunch, dang I got hungry!

2 comments:

Pablo VillicaƱa Lara said...

Great painting. . I like that you added hints of color. Nice atmosphere.

JimmyG said...

Hey thanks Pablo! Great to hear from you. I see you've been busy, your latest paintings are as beautiful as ever : )